Tuesday, October 07, 2008

stuffed feta cheese greek kebab burger

A friend gave me an easy kebab recipe... so i reinvented to make a "stuffed feta cheese greek kebab burger."

I make kebabs a lot in various forms because I have a husband who just adores Mediterranean cuisine. If he could, he'd eat it everyday (even though the chappli mix is an indian spice mix- it works).

Ingredients for the kebab:

* 2 lbs of leanest ground meat (i sometimes use lamb, chicken or turkey, for the burger i used really lean ground sirloin)
* 2 tbsp - Shan Chappli Kebab Spice mix (at your East Indian market)
* 2 small eggs or 1 lg egg
* 1 pkg Lipton onion soup mix
* 1 tbsp minced ginger
* 1 tbsp minced garlic

Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl and make into patties. Grill - whether on a grill pan, indoor grill, or outdoor grill.

This in itself is good to go. This is how I usually serve this....on a bed of spinach with tzatziki yogurt. I sometimes crumble the kebabs and put into my greek couscous salad. Great lunch!

For the Burger, however, I did this:

Do the recipe above and make the patties into burger size portions.

To stuff the feta cheese into the burger for that extra oozy surprise, follow this video (i know they use cheddar in the video, just pretend it's feta :P)

* just a note that feta cheese is strong & rich - a little goes a long way

I grilled the burger @ 4-6 min on each side.

Used whole-wheat hamburger buns.

Garnishes: though we used iceberg lettuce last night ( i rarely get iceberg) my preference is baby spinach; slices of tomatoes, avocado, red onions

Instead of mayo, I made my own tzatziki with greek yogurt (you can buy greek yogurt now at your supermarket).

Instead of potato chips... I bought a Sabra (the best) babaganoush and dipped our whole-wheat pita chips in it.

The only thing that was out of place was the pork & beans... cuz i love it. Really though, it didn't go well with the other Mediterranean flavors. Next time, I'll do without.

No comments: