Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Chicken fajita salad

I've realized that I haven't posted on this favorite blog for a couple of months. I've been a neglectful blogger. Thought I'd change that tonight.

After a week of gluttony - I've decided to fill up on veggies & fruit this week. My mother bought vegetables she wasn't able to use so my job is to not let those go to waste.

Tonight, I decided to make a chicken fajita salad. My recipe here is fool proof.

CHICKEN FAJITA SAUTE

Ingredients:

1 or 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
1/2 onion, chopped
1 large or 2 small garlic cloves, diced
1 bell pepper (red or green), julienned
1 roma tomato, chopped
4 oz can of diced green chile
2.25 oz of sliced olives

Directions:

1) Heat skillet and spray with canola oil or add 1 tbs of canola oil
2) Brown garlic, add onions, and tomatoes until soft
3) Add bell pepper, sliced olives, chicken pieces, and diced green chile
4) Sautee well
5) Season ( i don't measure) with salt, black pepper
6) Season ( i do so liberally) with paprika, chili powder, and red pepper flakes

Sautee until chicken and veggies are cooked. Taste to add more seasoning if needed.

Set aside.
*This can be a dinner on its own. Serve on a lettuce leaf or tortilla (corn or flour) with your favorite condiments (salsa, hot sauce, pico de gallo, cilantro, sour cream, cheese, whatever you desire)

BUT TO ADD IN SALAD:

Ingredients:

Mixed salad greens ( i buy the mix herb with spinach, radicchio, arugula, etc)
1/2 can of black beans, drained
1 small can of sweet corn
Shredded cheddar cheese (as much or as little as you like, fat free
or mild)
1 small avocado, chopped
lime vinaigrette (make your own - you can find online or use Newman's Own brand- i used Newman's tonight since I had an open bottle in the fridge)

Directions:

1) In a salad bowl, drizzle lime vinaigrette at the bottom of bowl
2) Add greens and toss well to coat
3) Add black beans, corn and toss well to coat
4) Add CHICKEN FAJITA mixture and toss well to coat
5) Sprinkle cheese (optional) and toss
6) I added a bit of Sante Fe Tortilla Strips at the top (I like crunch in my salad)

Serving is for two... as Jack and I finished the entire bowl tonight.

So if you're having a craving for Mexican or Southwest dish... this is a healthier option. :)

Enjoy.

No comments: