Thursday, November 01, 2007

The Art of Tea

Readers may have noticed a new link list on the left "Everything Tea." I'm owning up to it now. I am a classified tea geek. I've drank tea informally, as we all do - heat water up, tea bag in, brew 3-5 minutes on a chilly day or to even start the morning. Or maybe a cup of chamomile or some kind of herbal tea at night, right before bedtime. Or on summer days, nice iced tea - maybe even sweetened.

Like some people are really into wine, I really am into tea. I'm fascinated by the art, the culture and social aspects of tea worldwide. I didn't really get into it until my early 20s. I was lucky enough to have a Japanese tea ceremony class taught by a tea master and other tea practitioners that our school flew in from Japan. I remember her name: Hirosi Sinsei is what we called her. The other two women did not speak English but we all communicated, I guess, by way of tea. There are 4 types of Japanese tea ceremonies. I was taught the Chabako tea ceremony - because, I think, I couldn't balance that damned bamboo water ladle on my hand. I remember driving up on dirt roads in my green Ford Escort, through the redwoods, where my Professor - Dr. Fulton - a zen master - had his home up on the hill. It was so out of the way. Beautiful. He had a coy pond in his Japanese garden. Many times we saw wildlife running loose in the redwoods as we sat in the gardens.

His home was usually a sanctuary for Zen buddhists. On occasion while we made our way to the tea room out in the back, there would be zen practitioners facing the wall in deep meditation. They would be there before we got to class and they would be there afterwards.

I remember people saying what a cop out to take a tea class. I played it down with shame. Because I didn't know what I was getting into. In reality and in hindsight, it was one of the most difficult history courses I've taken. The detailed practice of tea, the purpose of the tea ceremony and then to write a twenty page research paper on the history and philosophy of it... pretty much knocked me out. Now I realize that this class was a gift. I remember staying after class to participate in a small tea ceremony with others in the rustic tea house my professor made. Usually it would be raining because after all, it was the redwoods. We'd sit there, practicing and all of the senses were intensified. The sound of the rain on the wooden roof, the wind outside, the boiling water on the ground, the tapping of the bamboo tea scoop against the bowl, the swishing of the tea whisk. Then our host would ask questions - mainly testing our knowledge of tea and what it meant to us. The principles of tea: harmony, respect, purity, tranquility.
I would drive back home from class - so relaxed, like I've just had a 2 hour massage done. I felt light and content. So I fell in love with tea. Who needs religion when you can have a cup of?

We were all fortunate in that class. We participated in a real ceremony. A select few were chosen to be guests which was a little bit intimidating as we had to remember all of the rules. I remember being volunteered to participate in the thick tea ceremony and my tea masters prepared me and put on my kimono. I was really small then and the only kimono that would fit me belonged to Hirosi Sinsei. I felt really special to be wearing one of hers.

Besides the Japanese tea ceremony, we had the good fortune of having a Chinese tea master come up for a couple of classes. Only 3 students were taken into a special tea room and served tea - via the Chinese Tea ceremony. Mind you, I never volunteered for these things but was always volunteered by a classmate; sometime an instructor. So, now in hindsight, I realize how special that moment was.

Then I graduated and moved on. But my love for tea always stayed with me. I also love British tea and all of it's hotsy totsiness. Everywhere I go, I try to scope out tea parlours and tea courts and tea rooms. I'm a sucker for tea sandwiches and scones. I love putting that clotted cream on my scone. And I can probably drink a couple of pots in one sitting.

When I moved to Kansas, the tea culture there was minimal. I kept this hobby to myself - with evidence of this only appearing in my built-in cabinets in the dining room - which was filled of collected tea wares.

Now I've moved to Seattle and of course, I've looked up what the tea culture is like here. I'm really excited. There are Eastern and Western teahouses, tea rooms, etc... everywhere. The university and the urasenke branch of seattle - offer ceremonies and classes as well. It's something I might further pursue if time will allow me.

Right now, I am slowly researching Moroccon tea.

To me, tea is an art form. It's also meditative and complex ritual. I love how it can be a center of a social gathering.

So yes, now I can gladly say, that the tea geek in me, is slowly resurfacing out here.


No comments: