Tuesday, January 22, 2008

An Ode to the Lorthioirs


Awwww does my sister and bro-in-law know me or what?

Today I received the most perfect birthday gift to give a foodie like me. A parcel from Sur La Table came tonight and when I opened it... it was this huge pan of which puzzled me. First I thought...hmmm crepe pan? But then I thought, that's a huge crepe pan. Too shallow to be a wok... so finally I read the invoice and there it was... there it was... the Spanish paella pan.

My family and I are HUGE HUGE HUGE seafood lovers. A day of food celebration is going out to Ports A Call, getting some crabs, taking them home, putting on the newspapers and getting some hammers and whacking the things and dipping them in vinegar; with steamed rice, sauteed veggies. I remember going with my parents to Hermosa or Redondo Piers while they went fishing until the wee hours of the morning for mackerels and Nanay would clean them up when we got home and put them in the freezer. Wala! Our seafood for the week. Whether broiled, or stewed in vinegar and ginger. So good.

My sister, Cecilia or "Ate Ling" and my bro, Pascal - are avid seafood lovers too. Pascal is an passionate deep sea fisherman whose caught yummy Ahi and had us take home to KS one year... Oh my gosh! So good. And Ate Ling would cook her clambake recipe that is out of this world.




So thank you, my Ate and Kuya Pascal and my Isabellyfor this perfect, lovely gift.

Paella is one of my favorite dishes ...now with this pan, I can learn to make my own...especially since I have really good seafood around me.

I love you all. I miss you. Hugs to Isabelle!

xoxo

No comments: