Monday, November 05, 2007

Thriftway Mart in Washington

Thriftway

...is now my favorite supermarket near our area. I've tried QFC which is an okay supermarket but still a little bit on the pricey side for me. Although they do carry the Skinny Cow cold desserts. I've tried PCC - which is too high scale for me although their selection of organic items and free range meats are spectacular - just way too expensive. I've tried the Safeway nearby and it's so small and so limited. Last night, I went to Thriftway and I loved what they offer. Everything in the store is environmentally friendly but they also offer regular brands. But the environmentally friendly products are affordable compared to QFC or PCC. All the meats and seafood are free range and really affordable. Of course, lots of organic produces & items. Plus they have a great antipasto bar (this seems to be the norm in the supermarkets here) which i love and good selection of fresh sushi. What I really like is that they have things in bulk. So if I want rice, oatmeal, or granolas in bulk, I don't have to buy the packaged ones. Also, Jack loves that the candies, chocolates (espresso choco balls), and nuts selections can be bought in bulk. He bought an assortment of nuts last night and put in his car to munch on. Our other favorite supermarket store is Trader Joe's but that's in the city of Burien so it's not that nearby but still only about 20 minutes away. They have mochi ice cream in mango, green tea, and chocolate flavors.

Otherwise, really if I could go to Pikes Market (and have the money to spend on parking), that's the place to be. Local vendors galore. Fresh flowers, unbelievable seafood selection, fruits, veggies, and other shopping adventures. I love that you can get and select your own individual eggs and put in your egg carton.

Grocery shopping in Seattle is a wonderful adventure. Food is highly regarded here. It's fun to see the different types of produces out there & research how to cook them. At Thriftway last night, I saw "goblin fingers" - they were strange looking produce- in the squash family i'm assuming but i can't find a photo of it online or find it online. Farmers have a little too much time marrying seeds out here. heh.

But yeah... today I'm returning to Thriftway to get some ground flax seeds. I would do it myself but that takes forever and major cleanup. I put that in my oatmeal now and honey and vanilla milk and lots of fresh berries. Yum breakfast. Also I hope to make some whole-wheat pear granola muffins for this week. And I need some granolas. :)

And no my life out here does not consist of supermarket trips although it's a lot more fun than clothes shopping... .

No comments: