Monday, November 12, 2007

Fried Tilapia


Fried Tilapia
Originally uploaded by SecurusIam
I don't think I blogged this but this is the way I like my tilapias. As a whole fish. With head and bones and everything. I grew up with this. My uncle used to grill them.

In Southern California, there are Asian markets with fish delis and you choose your fish and they'll clean and fry for you. I found an Asian market in White Center (White Center in Seattle is a little bit like Compton - kinda like the projects) but I don't mind it. I feel comfortable around this kind of area because it's diverse, it's tough - it's what I grew up with. Anyhoo, there are a lot of Vietnamese businesses including pho markets. At the same time, a lot of Mexican businesses as well. This particular Vietnamese Asian market is also a Mexican grocery at the back. So I get the best of both worlds.
This is the cheapest supermarket here. I get fresh Asian produces and seafoods. I saw the Chinese long beans, sayote, chili leaves (or dahon ng sili, Japanese eggplants, and other beautiful produces).

Sometime last week, I went there to pick my fresh tilapia and while I went around the store, they cleaned and fried. All for $2. I dipped in vinegar with lots of chilies and brown rice. Next time i do this, I will get the meat from the fish and put in soft taco shells.

And yes, Jack is no longer grossed out by this at all. He picks at it and eats like I do.

Whoop.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is my favorite way of eating tilapia too; fried whole. yumm!

I miss those clean and fry 'em places in California. Here, where I am, I gotta do all the work :(